Tweets of the Week: 10/3/2012
To say the least, it was a pretty wild week in the Twitterverse over the last seven days. The NFL and the Referees finally reached an agreement, there was unbelievable drama at the Ryder Cup (particularly Europe's improbable comeback), and of course some crazy games in the NFL and college football.
Thankfully, ScabGate is over in the NFL, as the league and it's referees were able to come to an agreement. The reaction on Twitter was mainly positive, although there were masochists complaining that there wouldn't be a trainwreck for them to watch each weekend. Shortly before the agreement was reached, a new South Park episode aired that fired off some shots at the scab refs for the botched Green Bay-Seattle call. Check the tweet from Deadspin below if you haven't seen it, it's absolutely outstanding. However, one of the masters of the animated gif, @LSUFreek, created quite possibly one of the best depictions of how Ed Hochuli was planning to return to the field. Well done sir. More of the best tweets from the end of ScabGate after the jump.
If you're a golf fan like me, then you probably enjoyed every second of the Ryder Cup over the weekend, save for of course, the debacle on Sunday. Credit to the Europeans for a hell of a comeback, that was absolutely incredible that they were able to overcome that margin. Especially with how well the US team had played on both Friday and Saturday. As @UMWolfpack87 correctly pointed out, there was absolutely nobody that was excited about the fact that both Johnny Miller and Colin Montgomerie were both on the set for NBC at one point. As I mentioned on Twitter myself, how on earth did NBC have room for too unbelievably overinflated egos? Also, if you haven't seen Phil Mickelson's unbelievable shot from Friday, check the tweet from @EyeOnGolf below. One final note to take away from the Ryder Cup - I'd be shitting my pants if I had to go head to head with Ian Poulter. That guy owns that format of play.
Here's what else had you talking on Twitter this past week:
- Apparently, Kirk Herbstreit is a huge fan of PB&J...extra crunchy. Ok then.
- Greg Little still can't catch. This is suprising to exactly nobody.
- On a serious note, @FtblSickness couldn't be more right. The fact that Torrey Smith was able to play the day after the tragic death of his brother was incredible.
- @RnR_NCSU's daughter summed up the state of ACC Football right now, and she is 100% correct. It is poop.
- LeBron James was none too pleased with the Cowboys performance last night in Chicago.
- @TheDevilWolf shows a clip from Duke-Wake Forest game that should be Exhibit A for why this new helmet rule is the absolute dumbest rule change ever.
- Kentucky coach John Calipari has apparently been hanging out with Jay-Z in Brooklyn. Hmmm.
- The West Virginia Mountaineer mascot got a tad trigger happy during their victory over Baylor thank's to Geno Smith's offensive explosion. Hopefully they were able to find more gunpowder.
- American Idol alum and current NC State student Scotty McCreery went to the game against Miami over the weekend, and was apparently the only person there. I'm pretty sure more people have shown up for a Scotty McCreery concert at the Koko Booth amphitheater in Cary than were at game in Coral Gables. Oof.
- Apparently, John Gruden shattered the #ShitMyGrudenSays scale Monday night when he compared Tony Romo to Clint Eastwood. Check the link from @TheBigLead's tweet below. It's absolutely tremendous.
- It was unintentional, but seriously, not a good look, @lolojones. Good lord.
- Last, but certainly not least, everyone's least favorite person in Chapel Hill, Dan Kane fired off a torpedo of a news story, reporting that several athletes, including Tyler Hansbrough, took a class at UNC on Naval Weaponry. The death by 1000 paper cuts continues for the Tar Heels. BAH GAWD DAN KANE'S CARNAGE IS RELENTLESS KING!!
That's a wrap for this edition of the IHJJR Tweets of the Week! Got a nomination? Send me (@thrillis4) a tweet/DM with the hashtag #IHJJRTweetsOfTheWeek. Enjoy everybody!
As part of the settlement with the officials, Ed Hochuli gets a Bow-flex in all his hotel rooms.— Pete Prisco (@PriscoCBS) September 27, 2012
Ed Hochuli is going to show up to his game this weekend and rip off his shirt @hulkhogan style. Book it.— Robert Flores (@RoFloESPN) September 27, 2012
VIDEO: Tonight's South Park featured the replacement ref debacle, head trauma, & Tom Brady drinking semen. Highlights: deadsp.in/cUbMbj— Deadspin (@Deadspin) September 27, 2012
NFL, referees reach agreement: on.nfl.com/SidesAgree— NFL (@nfl) September 27, 2012
The Real NFL Refs Make their Grand Entrance: bit.ly/SEdvDJ— Terrance Donnels (@LSUFreek) September 27, 2012
1st Ref call tonight should be:"Offensive Pass Interference.#81.Seattle.3 days ago."— Scott Hanson (@ScottHanson) September 27, 2012
Another drop by Greg Little.Pat Shurmur recently called him out for that.— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) September 28, 2012
Greg Little dropped a pass.In other news, the sky was actually blue today.— Awful Announcing (@awfulannouncing) September 28, 2012
Torrey Smith is a stronger man than I.— Ryan Burns (@FtblSickness) September 28, 2012
GENE STERATORE SWAG GIF Y'ALL. assets.sbnation.com/assets/1451583…— Kenneth Byrd (@hokie_Byrd) September 28, 2012
Westwood tees off into the water. "U-S-A!" chants breaks out.— Mark Ennis (@Mengus22) September 28, 2012
Ryder Cup>everything— trey wingo (@wingoz) September 28, 2012
Here is video of Phil Mickelson hitting the shot of the day for Friday. cbsprt.co/P0Py91— Eye on Golf (@EyeOnGolf) September 29, 2012
What a day at the Ryder Cup!! #USA— bubba watson (@bubbawatson) September 29, 2012
Chad Jenkins makes the craziest catch of a line drive you'll see all year sbnation.com/e/3189911— Bill Hanstock (@sundownmotel) September 28, 2012
This is pretty much the best animated GIF ever! lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mGYtAC6Pnm0/U…— Brad Panovich (@wxbrad) September 29, 2012
I told Jay-Z that I might get fined $50k for being in HIS locker room tonight. He said "I got you". #Lafamilia— John Calipari (@UKCoachCalipari) September 29, 2012
idaho plays unc today?they should call it the vandals versus the scandals.— Coach L Folwer (@Lee_Folwer) September 29, 2012
RT @nobody: Yes! Jonny Miller and Colin Montgomerie, my two favorites!— Matt P (@UMwolfpack87) September 29, 2012
"I was at the Miami game" is rapidly becoming the least believable alibi in history.— sir broosk (@celebrityhottub) September 29, 2012
I might need more gun powder for this game— Jon Kimble, Mtnr (@WVUMascot) September 29, 2012
Arkansas frantically hitting SIMULATE REST OF SEASON option.— edsbs (@edsbs) September 29, 2012
At Miami, they call that song the 7 Person Army as an ode to the fans in the stands.— Lake Rosenberg (@LakeRosenberg) September 29, 2012
I'm watching Baylor-WVU in a Buffalo Wild Wings so this is probably my fault— Bobby Big Wheel (@BobbyBigWheel) September 29, 2012
My daughter wrote the words "ACC" and "Poop" on the same scribble. Coincidence? I think not. twitter.com/RnR_NCSU/statu…— Riddick & Reynolds (@RnR_NCSU) September 29, 2012
My name is Jim Young and I'm no longer comfortable w/ John Elway's Dove ads.— ACC Sports (@ACCSports) September 29, 2012
Mad respect, @ianjamespoulter Golf equivalent of LBJ's 25 straight when he had to, because no one else on his team bothered to show.— Hayes Permar (@DHPIV) September 29, 2012
Here's the new helmet rule protecting a player by robbing him of a touchdown. youtube.com/watch?v=pDDA9t…— Ben Swain (@thedevilwolf) September 30, 2012
Summing up mood of NC State fans this weekend: twitpic.com/azrw6d— Joe Ovies (@joeovies) October 1, 2012
"TYLER BRAY! I call him 'Old Bay Bray' 'cause he looks like the kind of guy who likes Old Bay seasoning." — Jon Gruden in about 12 months— Doug (@CaptainAnnoying) October 2, 2012
Jon Gruden's batshit crazy MNF opening: is.gd/aKtEIL Make my day Tirico, make my day!— Jason McIntyre (@TheBigLead) October 2, 2012
Rob Ryan wishes Chuck Pagano well. Pretty neat. lockerz.com/s/249500648— Mike Clay (@MikeClayNFL) October 2, 2012
Godamn Romo!!— LeBron James (@KingJames) October 2, 2012
Clearly Gerry Austin is no @mikepereira— Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) October 2, 2012
I mean … holy crap, Lolo Jones. She said it's a mistake, but this is awful twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/st…— Brian Floyd (@BrianMFloyd) October 3, 2012
Will blogs about all things college football for IHJJR. He is also frequently found on Twitter, with thoughts covering most all sports, pop culture and totally random trivia.
Follow Will on Twitter: @thrillis4