Tweets of the Week: 7/24/2012
My apologies for no column last week (#RIPWillsMacbookPro), but to make it up to my faithful readers, a mega huge edition of Tweets of the Week!
For starters, there's obviously been a ton of attention from social media on the latest developments at Penn State. The Paterno statue came down over the weekend, and several pictures that circulated the Twittersphere showing the statue being removed. One in particular, as you'll see below, will absolutely be one of the sports pictures of the year. In addition, the NCAA dropped a proverbial megaton bomb on Penn State today, levying the most severe penalties since the SMU scandal of the 1980s. As you'll see below, several reactions described the situation for Penn State far better than I ever could. Needless to say, my future children will probably be teenagers by the time Penn State is relevant again in college football.
Speaking of college football, it's right around the corner folks. Just a shade over 5 weeks before the season starts! You know what that means, time for conference media days! SEC media days wrapped up last week, and the ACC media days are underway in Greensboro. Clearly, the winner of the SEC media days was John L. Smith. More on this below. Also, #NinjaSwoff (cc: @joeovies) dominated the podium at ACC media days with his usual cunning and ruthlessness.
Other quick hits from the past couple of weeks:
- Jeremy Lin has ended up in Houston, after the Knicks decided not to match their offer. There are arguments on both sides as to whether or not the Knicks should have matched, but the way the situation was so poorly handled pretty much sums up the Dolan Era in a nutshell.
- The bane of college football fans, Pitbull (thanks to this horrendously irritatating commercial) is headed to Alaska to perform at a Walmart after that particular Walmart ended up with the most "likes" on Facebook. Check the link below - safe to say citizens of Alaska don't consider drinking Dr. Pepper under an overpass as a real good time.
- Speaking of Bane, the new Batman movie, the Dark Knight Rises opened over the weekend. Rest assured, those who haven't seen the movie - the tweets below about the movie are spoiler free. But seriously, get on that. It's a spectacular movie.
- Adam Scott collapsed in epic Australian fashion at Royal Lytham over the weekend at the British Open. I could go into this a lot more, but Twitter icon @the_iron_sheik summed it up all too perfectly.
- In case you missed it, Kim Jong Un was named supreme leader of North Korea, whatever that actually means. Let's go to @KimJongNumberUn for comment!
- There's something in the water in Detroit these days...whatever it is, the Lions players need to stop drinking it. They can't seem to stop getting arrested.
That's a wrap for this edition of the IHJJR Tweets of the Week! Got a nomination? Send me (@thrillis4) a tweet/DM with the hashtag #IHJJRTweetsOfTheWeek or #IHJJRTOTW. Enjoy everybody!
Just posted a photo instagr.am/p/NEgxvRiTMS/— LeBron James (@KingJames) July 14, 2012
::.:/.:....::..:..::..:;;;;:;;::;;54&$:)— Tim Kurkjian (@Kurkjian_ESPN) July 15, 2012
This. Is. Just. Dumb. bit.ly/P94GPe Billy Hamilton hits an inside the park home run. He runs around the bases in 13.8 seconds.— Dustin Parkes (@dustinparkes) July 16, 2012
I was just named Supreme Leader of North Korea. Really hope this improves my Klout score.— KimJongNumberUn (@KimJongNumberUn) July 18, 2012
Unless the Knicks match RT @BreakingNews: Kim Jong Un named Supreme Leader of North Korea— Matt Sussman (@suss2hyphens) July 18, 2012
Pitbull is being exiled to a Walmart in rural Alaska. Well done, Internet! uproxx.com/music/2012/07/…— Brett (@thecajunboy) July 18, 2012
"If you'll excuse me, guys." - John L Smith shortly before shooting through the ceiling via jetpack— Adam Kramer (@KegsnEggs) July 18, 2012
This John L. Smith reality TV show they're filming in Arkansas is going to be incredible.— Mark Ennis (@Mengus22) July 18, 2012
Retired coaches are out as members of the selection committee for college football playoff. Each conference will submit a nominee.— RAY GLIER (@RAYGLIER) July 18, 2012
TOB's response to question about age: "That's a clown question, bro." That's not a joke, he actually said that.— Derek Medlin (@DerekMedlin) July 19, 2012
TOBot has taken over, it was only a matter of time: i.imgur.com/UY7Xm.jpg.— THE KEY PLAY (@thekeyplay) July 19, 2012
Uggh I didn't need to see Joan Rivers on TV at Sox-Sox.Her face doesn't move.She looks like an armadillo had sex w/melted plastic— Reva Friedel (@revafriedel) July 20, 2012
Though it resembles many American cities, Gotham is a fictional place where Notre Dame still does not play for a national championship.— sir broosk (@celebrityhottub) July 20, 2012
But could Kentucky beat Batman?— Ben Jones (@Ben_Jones88) July 20, 2012
Dark Knight Rises spoiler: Bane is short for Greg Robaneson. Explains how the football field implodes.— Sean Keeley (@NunesMagician) July 20, 2012
UNC, you are so bad at cheating. Stop. Seriously.— Bryan (@PittScript) July 20, 2012
Just saw Tony Romo hit the flag stick on the fly at a celebrity golf tournament. Why can't he have that kind of accuracy on the field?— Michael Rhaney (@rhaneym) July 20, 2012
Hey, he's not enjoying jail after all, pal! Seriously...how did this guy get passed security??? lockerz.com/s/226996009— Riddick & Reynolds (@RnR_NCSU) July 21, 2012
Proof that football has be de-emphasized at da U: 'Canes ''media guide'' is about 25 Xeroxed pages stapled together. ow.ly/i/MYCU— Chuck Oliver (@kingcfb) July 22, 2012
Swofford wearing a green tie. His way of saying 'sup to Notre Dame. #ACCKickoff— Joe Ovies (@joeovies) July 22, 2012
Ernie Els the real. The Adam Scott not ready for the Wrestlemania— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) July 22, 2012
RT @urbanmeyer: time to text a lot— Josh Goodson (@joshwgoodson) July 23, 2012
The Insight Bowl is now Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. Game promises to end at last call due to questionable refereeing— Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) July 23, 2012
Penn State's view for the next half decade plus:yfrog.com/oeczawsj— Luke Zimmermann (@lukezim) July 23, 2012
Joe Paterno thought his statue was an immunity idol.— Matt Goldich (@MattGoldich) July 22, 2012
If you're upset about the Paterno statue coming down, just do what he did: tell your boss once and never mention it again— Tucker Max (@TuckerMax) July 22, 2012
the Lions had 7 arrests total since 2000 before this year... they have 7 in 2012.— Alessandro Miglio (@AlexMiglio) July 22, 2012
Will blogs about all things college football for IHJJR. He is also frequently found on Twitter, with thoughts covering most all sports, pop culture and totally random trivia.
Follow Will on Twitter: @thrillis4